Skip to Content
4 min reading time
SERIOUS EFFECTS OF MOULD AND HOW YOU CAN GET RID OF IT.

Mould: The dark side of moisture

All you need to know about mould and its effects.

Mould is a type of fungus different from plants and animals that grows from tiny spores that float in the air. It needs water to grow, a reason why it will usually breed around damp or humid surfaces. This means that too much moisture at your home can be a factor that creates black mould or mildew.

Humid and damp places in your home can create the perfect environment for mould to grow.

What causes mould?
High moisture might be responsible for the growth of mould and other types of fungi. When there is a high indoor moisture there are more possibilities that condensation appears, which allows water to accumulate. If this water has nowhere to go and is unable to dry, it begins to absorb into the surfaces in your home and develop itself into this toxic phenomenon, which can result in bathroom mould or basement mould. As a general rule, when relative moisture is over 70%, mould and other species of fungi can thrive.

Mould is easily detected because you can see and/or smell it in the grout lines in your shower, damp walls, ceilings and outdoors surfaces. Depending on the amount of mould, the colour will appear in black, green or blue stains. Sometimes, you might not be able to smell it or see it, which makes mould harder to remove, but it is important to not ignore smells because even small amounts of it would mean that there is enough moisture for more growth. 

But what are the implications of mould?
Mould can damage your properties and can appear in any humid place in your home in the form of shower, ceiling or wall mould. Wall paint and furniture can be seriously affected. But mould does not only affect your home surfaces, it also can affect your well-being. 

How to get rid of mould?
If you want to know how to clean mould or how to remove mould it is pretty easy: clean the affected area and use an anti-mould spray. But how do you prevent the mould from appearing again? In order to prevent the reappearance of mould, you must avoid excessive moisture levels inside your home and attempt to maintain dry interior surfaces. Maintaining a moisture level below 60 percent is the perfect measure to avoid mould and mildew. A moisture absorber will come handy in this case, as these devices help decrease excess moisture and can be a good step after mould treatment.

  • 2 min reading time
    Mould, discomfort and other negative effects due to a wrong level of indoor moisture

    The most immediate effect of high indoor moisture is personal discomfort. 

  • 3 min reading time
    Potential damages of excess moisture at home

    Indoor effects of too much moisture. 

  • 4 min reading time
    High moisture season is coming: tips to control moisture at home

    Tips to manage moisture and some of its effects in high moisture weather.