To tile over concrete floors use UniBond ready mixed floor tile adhesive and grout.
- For fixing ceramic floor tiles on to interior concrete floors
- Tile over pre-fitted underfloor heating
- Suitable for most absorbent concrete floors (providing an effective damp proof membrane is in place)
Tips and tricks:
New floor screeds must be dry before tiling. Allow 1 day drying per 1mm thickness.
Test for dampness – Place a piece of polythene 1m2 on to the floor and seal around the edge using adhesive tape. Leave overnight. Any trace of moisture under polythene indicates dampness, which must be rectified prior to using this product.
Lay dry tiles on the floor and arrange so that difficult cuts and awkward corners are avoided.
How many tiles do I need?
When calculating how many tiles you need, work out how many will cover the area to be tiled – and then add 10% for breakages. You can always return the extra tiles if you don’t use them.
For awkward cuts, it’s recommended that you make a template out of card and trace around it. Always remember to wear goggles and gloves when cutting tiles.
Use spacers to ensure regular spacing of tiles. Occasionally check with a spirit level to ensure the tiles remain level.
Occasionally lift a tile that has been recently laid to ensure full adhesive contact is being achieved.
Store in cool dry conditions. Protect from frost and direct sunlight.
Project check list
- Tile Adhesive
- Measure & Spirit Level – To find centre
- Notched Trowel – For spreading the tile adhesive to the correct depth
- Bucket Trowel – For getting the tile adhesive out of the bucket
- Tile Spacers – To ensure tiles are spaced evenly
- Sponge & Bucket of clean water – To remove excess adhesive from tile face immediately
- Tile Cutter
- Grout Float – For applying the grout to the grout lines
Step by Step
1. Concrete floors must be dry and have an effective damp proof membrane at least 10mm below the floor surface.
2. Prime dusty floors with UniBond Super PVA.
3. UniBond Floor tile adhesive & grout for concrete floors is a thin bed adhesive and must not be laid to a bed depth of greater than 3mm, therefore level uneven floors using a floor levelling compound.
1. Apply a continuous bed of adhesive up to 3mm thick over 1m2 using a notched trowel.
2. Bed the tiles firmly into the adhesive using a twisting action to ensure full contact.
3. Tile spacers should be used to ensure regular spacing.
4. Remove surplus adhesive immediately with a damp cloth.
5. Adhesive sets in 48 hours.
1. Do not start grouting until the adhesive is fully dry.
2. Press the grout into the joints with a grout float.
3. Press the grout into the joints with a grout float.
4. Smooth off the grout lines with a grouting tool.
5. Immediately remove the excess grout with a damp cloth.
6. Allow to dry for 24 hours then polish the tiles with a clean cloth – ensure that the grout is fully dry before allowing water contact.
*For guidance only, please refer to pack for more concise instructions.